Sunday, October 12, 2008

Apple Crisp to the Rescue

Mr. Gooch and I were invited to dinner at a friend's house Friday. The hitch, their house is almost 2 hours away, we were leaving in about an hour and I was going to bring dessert.


After my initial panic of realizing that the apple tart I wanted to make would not work due to the time constraint, I went right to a great source of help. The What's Cooking board on The Nest. The ladies there recommended several recipes and I ended up making a variation on the apple crisp. I used a recipe I found on Jenn and Food, Perfect Together as the starting point and added 1/2 cup of rolled oats to the crust to add more crunch.

Apple Crisp
Ingredients
4 cups sliced apples
ground cinnamon
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats (do not use quick cook kind)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish.
Place apples in prepared dish.
Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Pour water over all.
In a bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Blend in flour and oats.
Sprinkle mixture evenly over apples.
Bake in preheated oven 50 minutes, until apples are tender and crust is golden.

To prepare for the trip, Mr. Gooch peeled the apples and sprinkled with lemon juice to keep them from browning and then placed them in a gallon bag Ziploc bag. Using my Kitchen Aide mixer, I combined the crust ingredients and placed in a Ziploc quart bag. Both these bags went into a cooler for the trip along with the 8x8 inch glass pan, ground cinnamon and Pam (to grease the pan).

We assembled all the components at our friend's house and baked in the oven.

Served with vanilla ice cream it turned out amazing. With everyone wanting the the recipe, I am counting this one as a total home run.

I have also submitted this to Joelen's Culinary Adventures Cooking Challenge: Cobblers, Crumbles & Crisps, Oh My!

Print this post

1 Comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks so delicious and a great dessert to share with friends! Thanks so much for participating in the Cobblers, Crumbles and Crisps event!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online