Saturday, February 14, 2009

Southern "Oven Fried" Chicken - A Tasty (and Crispy) Weight Watchers Dinner

Now that Mr. Gooch and I are back to watching what we eat, I have been combing my Weight Watchers cookbooks for dinners that meet my picky eating habits.

I found the perfect dish. It is chicken, it is crunchy and it is so tasty. And the best part is that it is easy.

It is definitely crispy and it satisfies that need for a "crunch" that you sometimes miss when on a diet. I added the Smoky Paprika to add a little extra zing since the recipe seemed to be a bit lacking in that department. Next time I make this, I may add some additional spices. Just to mix things up.

And the best part is that I was able to use some of leftovers to make a large 8 point lunch salad the next day. Low fat ranch dressing (2 T), Parmesan cheese (2 teaspoons), a whole mess of romaine lettuce, some sliced peppers and one serving of the leftover chicken. No photos of this salad since I ate it before I thought to take a picture.

Southern "Oven Fried" Chicken
(Adapted from the recipe in WW New Complete Cookbook)
5 points per serving/recipe serves 4
Ingredients
1/2 cup fat free buttermilk or 1/2 cup skim milk mixed with 1 tsp vinegar
2-3 drops hot sauce
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
3/4 cup cornflakes crushed
5 TBS flour
salt and pepper
2 lbs chicken parts, skinned (I used boneless chicken breasts cut into strips)
4 tsp canola oil

Directions
Spray a baking sheet with Pam or some other cooking spray (will ensure the chicken does not stick)
Mix buttermilk and hot sauce in a bowl large enough to place chicken in.
Mix the dry ingredients in a flat bowl.
Dip chicken in buttermilk and hot sauce mixture.
Dredge chicken in cornflakes, flour, spice, salt and pepper mixture.
Place coated chicken pieces on the baking sheet with space in between the pieces.
Drizzle coated chicken pieces with oil.
Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
Turn chicken and bake 15-20 min more (or until chicken is cooked through).

Print this post

3 Comments:

Colleen said...

I love recipes like this that are healthy AND taste good!

Colleen said...

I love recipes like this that are healthy AND taste good!

Anonymous said...

I made these for dinner tonight and my word were they good! Thanks :)

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online