Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Creamy Sweet Potato Orzo with Sage

My love affair with the sweet potato is a relatively new one.

You see, until Mr. Gooch and I started dating I had never actually eaten a sweet potato. And my first exposure was not what I would call love at first taste. You see, I love the savory dish and Mr. Gooch served a baked sweet potato with brown sugar.

So until I found recipes for baked sweet potato fries seasoned with sea salt and pepper then baked sweet potatoes seasoned with thyme, I was a little sweet potato shy. But, as you can see from this blog, those recipes turned out fabulously and now I have an ongoing love affair with the bumpy orange tube. But those recipes were prepared in a more traditional straight forward way, baked in the oven.

Now it is time to branch out to something even more adventurous. I hope you take the time to try this recipe for Creamy Sweet Potato Orzo and Sage.

Creamy Sweet Potato Orzo with Sage
(Source: the depths of my brain)
Ingredients
1 large (or 2 medium) sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup orzo
1 teaspoon ground sage
Kosher Salt
Fresh ground pepper

Directions
Place vegetable stock and water into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. (I used my dutch oven)
Add cubed sweet potato and reduce heat to a simmer.
Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until soft.
Remove cooked sweet potato from liquid and place in a large bowl.
Add orzo to potato cooking liquid and cook until liquid is absorbed. (approximately 15 minutes)
While the orzo is cooking, add salt and pepper to taste, skim milk and ground sage to the cooked sweet potato and mash with a fork, leaving some chunks.
Once orzo is cooked, add mashed potato mixture back into the saucepan and mix to combine, adding ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
Place mixture in a serving bowl and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Yum!!

I have submitted this recipe to the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission Bloggers’ Recipe Challenge.

Print this post

5 Comments:

Cara said...

sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

I think you'll win the contest with a recipe like this one!

Patty said...

That looks so good! Yum!

Prudy said...

OH-yum! That looks like a winner to me!

Colleen said...

Ooh this looks tasty!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online