Sunday, January 10, 2010

Whoops. I Got It Wrong - Chili Spiced Chicken



I decided to post this since failure is sometimes a part of cooking.  And while the chicken was edible (barely), it was definitely not what the author of the recipe intended.  Let me just say, reading IS fundamental.

Before I get back to the recipe, I just have to say I love BBC America.  I love the shows that feature British chefs and how their recipes are fabulous in slightly different way.  Maybe it is their accents.  Maybe it is using British terms for items; like rocket for arugala and poussin for small chicken.  Somehow it just sounds more exotic.  I think that is why I found myself flipping through my Best Ever Three & Four Ingredient Cookbook.  It is published by a London-based publisher so th e recipes havethat British flair.  Fair warning - I will be using more recipes from this book in the coming months since I have many I want to try.

Now back to the recipe. You would think since it was from a book touting recipes having only a few ingredients I wouldn't be able to screw it up.  Well, you would be wrong. 

Here is how the recipe is written

Chili-Spiced Poussin
Ingredients
1 tablespoon Chili Powder
1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
3 tablespoons Olive Oil
salt and pepper

Take special heed of the words Chili Powder

Apparently I didn't. 

I used Cayenne Pepper instead.  Yes, they share some letters.  Yes, they are in the same box in my pantry (the box labeled C).  Yes, they are both red in color.  So you can see how I could get them confused...if I couldn't read (this is where the "reading is fundamental" is key).  Needless to say the chicken was so spicy that it made my mouth burn, and not in a good way.

I am not going to print any more of the recipe since I am going to try this again next week, with the proper ingredients. 

Print this post

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online