Monday, December 22, 2008

Homemade Corn Bread

My husband loves corn bread. He has been asking for me to make some for quite some time now and I will admit, I have been putting it off since I am not a fan.

But yesterday, I broke down. I found the recipe below on bigoven.com. I liked that it didn't require a box of cornbread mix (which we didn't have in the pantry).

Mr. Gooch was thrilled with the result. He said that it was moist and tasty. That is good enough for me to recommend it.

Grandma's Creamed Corn Bread
Source: www.bigoven.com

Ingredients
4 tb Unsalted butter; melted
1/2 ts Salt
1 c Yellow cornmeal; preferably
1 cn (8 oz) creamed corn
3/4 c All-purpose flour
1 c Milk
2 tb Sugar
1 lg Egg; well beaten
1 tb Plus 1 tsp baking powder

Directions
Preheat the oven to 450 F.
Pour 2 tablespoons melted butter into 9-inch cake pan; bake for 5 minutes, until pan is very hot.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Make a well in the center and pour the creamed corn, milk, remaining 2 tablespoons butter and egg into the well.
Stir until smooth.
Pour the batter into the hot pan.
Bake until corn bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
Remove corn bread from oven, and let it stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Print this post

1 Comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I especially like cornbread recipes using creamed corn. I think it makes the bread come out pretty moist and not dry at all!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online