Monday, December 1, 2008

Not Your Grandma's Mashed Potatoes - Baked Mashed Potatoes with Parmesan Cheese and Bread Crumbs



I love potatoes. I love love love mashed potatoes. Add two types of cheese and I am in heaven.
So when I saw this recipe from Giada Di Laurentiis on the Food Network web site, I knew this was our Thanksgiving potato dish.

While the recipe says you can prepare up to 6 hours prior, I actually prepared the potatoes the night before and added the Parm and bread crumb topping right before I put the dish in the oven.

It was definitely a tasty dish. The only changes I would suggest were adding a bit more Parmesan cheese to the potatoes as well as adding some roasted garlic. But then again, I like garlic in just about every type of food I eat.

And there were enough left over for Mashed Potato Pancakes (post on that dish coming later today).

Baked Mashed Potatoes with Parmesan Cheese and Bread Crumbs
Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Coat a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of butter and set aside.
Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until they are very tender, about 15 minutes.
Drain; return the potatoes to the same pot and mash well.
Mix in the milk and melted butter.
Mix in the mozzarella and 3/4 cup of the Parmesan.
Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Transfer the potatoes to the prepared baking dish.
Stir the bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan in a small bowl to blend.
Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the mashed potatoes.
Recipe can be prepared up to this point 6 hours ahead of time; cover and chill.
Bake, uncovered, until the topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes.

Print this post

3 Comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Yum! Mashed potatoes with cheese mixed in is always a must!

Colleen said...

This is one of my favorite recipes because it's mashed potatoes you can make in advance!

mic said...

I made this for my Fiance's Aunt thanksgiving dinner and they said this is going to be a staple to every occasion.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online