Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Orange Ginger Cranberry Sauce - Cranberry with a Zing

I have realized over the last few months that I LOVE ginger. So when I saw this recipe on Money Saving Mom for Orange Ginger Cranberry Sauce, I knew I had my recipe.

The sauce was definitely zingy and that was a nice compliment to our other dishes. I will definitely make this again. I may make up a double batch s coming weekend and freeze individual portions for use throughout the year with various meals.

Homemade Orange Ginger Cranberry Sauce
Source: Erin at $5 Dinners
Ingredients
1 bag fresh cranberries (the bag I used was 12 oz.)
1 orange, juiced (I used about 1/4 cup of OJ)
1 teaspoon orange zest
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ cup sugar

Directions
Rinse cranberries.
Pick out any cranberries that are white in color or have "gushy" spots.
Place cranberries in sauce pan with 2 inches of water, or apple juice.
Boil for 10 minutes, then reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
While boiling, add the juice from one orange.
Add 1 teaspoon orange zest to the sauce.
Cranberries will "pop" while boiling!
Add ¼ cup sugar to the cranberries. Add more sweetener for sweeter sauce, or less sweetener for a more tart sauce. Add ½ - 1 teaspoon of ground ginger.
Allow sauce to sit for at least 10 minutes to "thicken" a bit more.

Print this post

1 Comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

A definite must for any Thanksgiving table!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online