Sunday, January 18, 2009

Homemade Granola - In the Crockpot

I am trying to eat healthier in the new year. One way to do this, I thought, would be to make some homemade granola. That way I knew exactly what was in the mix and there wouldn't be any coconut (I hate coconut).

I found this recipe on A Year of Crockpotting and modified it a bit to meet my needs.

The result was absolutely tasty. I have been eating it instead of chips for a snack and in my yogurt for breakfast. I am sure I will find many other ways to incorporate this tasty treat into my diet.

Crockock Granola
Modified from A Year of Crockpotting
- 5 cups oats (I made separate batches with quick cook and rolled, both turned out tasty)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup dried fruit (I used raisins and cranberries)

Directions
In a 4 or 6 quart crockpot, place all the dry ingredients.

Melt the butter in the microwave.

Add butter and honey to dry ingredients, tossing well to mix completely.

Cover, but vent with a wooden spoon.

Cook on high for 3-4 hours, stirring every 15 to 20 minutes. Stirring this frequently is key since the granola will burn more quickly than you think. I set a timer so I wouldn't forget.

Once cooked, place granola mixture on a cookie sheet and let cool.

Seal well in an air-tight container or Ziplock.

Print this post

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting way to make granola! I've only ever made it on a baking sheet in the oven. I bet it was tasty!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've been maing homemade granola for awhile(I'm always looking for new flavor combinations, thanks for sharing), but I've never seen a crockpot recipe. Interesting!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a great thing to make in a crockpot! Looks delicious!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online