Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lasagna - Easier Than I Thought

I love pasta and cheese, so it took me a while to get over the shock when I realized that I had never actually made lasagna.

But I decided that I had to try to make a batch since it freezes so well so could be added to the "Make Ahead" list for when the kids are here for spring break and schedules/menu planning can go right out the window.

I searched my Google Reader for an easy recipe and found this recipe on the blog The Organized McTatty. The recipe, with her photos, made it look so easy.

I modified mine slightly since I wanted to make the dish in 2-8x8 pans so we could freeze one for later. This is why I cooked the noodles slightly so they could be cut with kitchen shears to fit the smaller pans. And I love cheese so upped those amounts. Plus, who doesn't like a bit more cheese.

Easy Lasagna

Ingredients
1 lb. ground beef
3 cups Mozzarella Cheese, divided
15 oz. Part Skim Ricotta Cheese (usually one large container)
3/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese, divided
2 Tablespoons dried parsley
2 Tablespoons Italian herb blend
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 jar spaghetti sauce (at least 24 oz.)
1 cup water
12 lasagna noodles, cooked al dente

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Cook noodles to al dente.

In a large skillet, brown the meat.

While the meat is cooking, in a large bowl combine 1 3/4 cup mozzarella, all the ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, the herbs and the egg until it is well blended. Set aside.

Once meat is brown, drain off the fat and return the meat to the skillet. Add in the spaghetti sauce.

Add the cup of water to empty sauce jar, close and shake well to get all the sauce out of the jar. Add water/sauce mixture to the skillet, stirring to mix completely.

Spread 1 cup meat sauce in the bottom of 9x13-inch baking dish; 3 of the lasagna noodles on top of the sauce, spread 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture onto the noodles and cover with 1 cup of the meat sauce.

Repeat this process twice. Top with the remaining noodles, sauce and cheeses.

Cover with foil.

BAKE for 1 hour, removing foil after 45 min.

Let stand 15 min. before cutting to serve.

Print this post

1 Comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I love lasagnas and if its easy it sounds like a great recipe! :)

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online