Friday, August 8, 2008

DIY Project - Wine Corks

Another aspect of my new direction in life is to try to embrace my crafty/artistic side. To that end, I have been collecting corks (with the help of my mom and dad) so I can make a tack board for the main floor hallway and a wreath for the front door. I found the following links that included instructions in how to make a tack board (click here) and a wreath (click here).

The first project I completed is the tack board which will hang in the hallway that runs from the front to the back door allowing me to remove some of the clutter from the fridge. This project took about half of the corks I had gathered.

First I removed the glass from the frame and laid out the corks starting from the bottom left corner, trying to keep each set of two corks the same where possible to make visual impact. I then glued the corks down using hot glue. There was approximately a 1 cork width space left on the right side of the frame so I used kitchen shears to trim the corks to fit the space, gluing them in place. The original hanger on the frame was not strong enough to support the weight of the corks so I attached two new sawtooth hangers to the back of the frame. The plan is to hang from screws secured to the wall.



I think it looks nice and made me realize that we really like Toasted Head wine since the corks with the bears were the ones in the greatest number.

Print this post

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online