Thursday, August 21, 2008

Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

Mr. Gooch loves peanut butter. I love cookies. So to combine both our loves last night I planned to make a batch of Peanut Butter Chip cookies. Mr. Gooch works nights so I thought it would be a nice treat in his lunch box.

I mixed the batter, placed it in the fridge and then tragedy struck. My oven stopped working. It wouldn't heat up. How totally craptastic! So I threw the dough into the freezer since I wasn't sure how long I would be ovenless.*

But as luck would have it, we would not be cookie-less for long. With the help of some of the ladies on The Nest "What's Cooking" board, I found today that baking them in our toaster oven was an option. The only changes I needed to make were to rotate the pan 180 degrees after 9 minutes and to bake the cookies for 18 minutes instead of 15.

These are so freaking good. I almost burned my tongue snarfing down one of the first cookies out of the toaster oven. After tasting the peanuty goodness of that cookies, I made the executive decision that any cookie that got broken when being removed from the baking sheet were fair game for eating. (Thank goodness it was only 1 more cookie!)


*At this time the oven is pulled out into the middle of our tiny kitchen waiting for Mr. Gooch to take a look to see if he can fix it. Thank goodness the previous owners left us the manual for all the appliances in the house.

Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe

Modified from a recipe found on Simply Recipes.

Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup peanut butter [I used a little over a cup]
1 egg
1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup peanut butter chips [I added these]

Directions


Cream the butter for 2 minutes.

Add the sugars, cream for 2 more minutes.

Mix in the peanut butter and egg.

Mix together the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Stir into the sugar butter mixture.

Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate at least 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Place about 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten in crisscross pattern with a fork. Bake until light brown, 9 to 10 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for a minute; transfer to rack to cool completely.

For chewier cookies, bake at 300°F for 15 minutes.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

Print this post

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online