Friday, August 22, 2008

Tasty Side Dish - Spanish Rice

As I was putting together this week's dinner menu, my goal was to use items that we already had in our cupboard. To stretch things even further, we were going to eat leftovers for lunches each day. I think that this is what people call pantry eating. I was excited to be so successful since the result was a shopping list with less than 15 items (including toiletries and paper products). And I even had coupons for several of the items. The "Savings Nerd" in me did the fist pump in the air!

After laying out the entrees, I realized that I needed a side dish for our Mexican might. Not being a huge fan of the whole/chunky tomato, I needed to find a recipe that didn't use salsa or chuncky tomatoes. Using ingredients from several recipes on http://www.epicurean.com/, I created the recipe below. It is a bit "hot" due to the chili powder and Tabasco. If you like your dishes milder, just reduce those amounts.


A serving suggestion from Mr. Gooch, add a dab of sour cream.

Spanish Rice

Ingredients:
1/2 chopped onion (small pieces)
1/2 chopped red pepper (small pieces)
1/2 chopped green pepper (small pieces) [I used green peppers only since that is all I had]
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 cup rice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Directions:
Pour olive oil into large saute pan.
Saute onions until clear.
Add peppers and saute another 5 minutes.
Add all remaining ingredients.
Bring to boil.
Cover and cook on low for 20 minutes or until rice is done.

Print this post

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

I looove spanish rice and this looks just divine!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online