Sunday, October 12, 2008

Alternative Football Food - Cheddar Beer Fondue

Mr. Gooch and I love a local restaurant called Cafe Winberie. They have an amazing Sam Adams cheddar and beer fondue which is served with apples and crusty bread. We get it every time we go to eat there.

I had recently bought a fondue set at the Linens & Things closing in my area, with the intention of making a home version of this tasty treat. After getting a bunch of apples at the farmer's market and bread from the local bakery, I knew this weekend was the time to attempt to recreate the dish. Especially since the Chicago Bears/Atlanta Falcons game was on and nothing says football like fondue.

I found several recipes online and ended up combining aspects of several into the version below. I would strongly suggest using all cheddar cheese. I didn't have enough cheddar in the fridge and had to improvise.

All in all this was very close to the version we get at the restaurant. So when we need to clog our arteries on another occasion, this will be on the menu.

Sam Adams Cheddar and Beer Fondue

Ingredients
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Teaspoons Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoons Dried Mustard
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce (I used White Wine Worcestershire)
1 Teaspoon Chipotle Tabasco (for a bit of smokey heat)
1 Lb Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded (I used 1/2 cheddar and 1/2 co-jack)
10 Oz. Sam Adams Boston Lager

Directions
Combine butter, flour, dried mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and beer in small saucepan and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and add cheese.

Melt and place in fondue pot.

Serve with apples and crusty bread.

Print this post

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online