Sunday, October 12, 2008

More Apple Goodness - Baked Apples

One of the very first recipes I ever made for Mr. Gooch was the baked apple. It has few ingredients but just screams fall goodness, without there needing to be a pumpkin in sight. (See my post here for my lack of love of the pumpkin in food.)

Mr. Gooch made an amazing dinner last night with grilled steak, sweet corn, mashed potatoes and salad. So I made dessert - the baked apple. It was the perfect dessert to finish the meal.

Baked Apples
Source: Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook c-1996

Ingredients
4 apples cored
1/2 cup raisins
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup water or apple juice (I used 1/2 cup)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Core apples and peel a strip from the top of each.
Place apples in a 2-qt. casserole (I used a pie pan)
Combine raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Spoon into the center of the cored apples.

Pour water or apple juice over apples into dish.
Bake apples for 40-45 minutes or until tender, basting occasionally.
Serve with ice cream or half and half. (I served with whipped cream).

Print this post

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online