Sunday, October 12, 2008

Going Pork for the First Time - Rootbeer Pulled Pork

Growing up, we never really ate pork. Other than the Honey Baked Ham at the annual Christmas Eve gathering. So all those ads talking about "Pork, the other white meat" were lost on me. I was perfectly happy with my chicken, turkey and beef.


But with the increase in food costs and the decrease in our income, I decided that I should look into this "other white meat" since it was often on sale at the grocery. But I wanted something that was familiar, since I have my picky eating to deal with.

So when I saw this recipe for Rootbeer Pulled Pork posted on Lovestoeat's weblog, I had to give it a try. I am not a huge fan of rootbeer so I figured that ingredient and the pork were the stretching of my palate for this meal.

The recipe couldn't be easier and is made in the crockpot so you can turn it on and pretty much forget it until about an hour and a half before dinner time. And the taste of rootbeer is faint and not really noticeable. But it does keep the meat really moist.

Rootbeer Pulled Pork
Ingredients
Pork Roast (I think ours was about 2.5 lbs.)
12 oz of root beer
Bottle BBQ Sauce

Directions
Place Pork Loin in Crockpot
Pour in root beer
Cover and cook on low for about 6.5 hours
After 6.5 hours, drain liquid and shred meat
Pour bottle of BBQ sauce over shredded meat and cook on low for another 1.5 hours
Serve on a bun (I added a slice of low fat swiss cheese as well)

Print this post

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online