Monday, October 20, 2008

Chipotle Basmati Rice - Can't Have Burritos Without It

So with the Barbacoa Beef recipe in hand, I went in search of a recipe for the Chipotle Rice recipe. I knew that they had to use a particular type of rice since it had a different texture than I made at home. I knew that there was also some cilantro and lime. What else, I just wasn't sure.


But then I found this recipe. Score! So I gathered all the ingredients (including getting some basmati rice from the local grocery) and got ready to make this necessary (and tasty) ingredient in a good burrito.

The only problem was the fact that it didn't outline when to add the cilantro to the recipe. I added it after the rice was cooked with some additional salt and lime juice.

See my edits/changes to the recipe in italics.

Chipotle's Basmati Rice Recipe
The source of this recipe is attributed to Chipolte's Executive Chef (and CEO), Steve Ellis

Ingredients
1 teaspoon vegetable oil or butter (I used unsalted butter)
2 tsp. fresh cilantro (I used about 1 tsp. dehydrated cilantro)
2/3 cup white basmati rice
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Lime (1 tsp. added to the butter plus extra to sprinkle on the cooked rice)

Directions
In a 2-quart heavy saucepan, heat oil or butter over low heat, stirring occasionally until melted.

Add rice and lime juice, stir for 1 minute.

Add water and salt, bring to a full rolling boil.

At boiling, cover, turn down to simmer over low heat until rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes.

Fluff rice with a fork.

Print this post

1 Comment:

CarolinaDreamz said...

Hi. I'm Heidi. I popped in from your menu.

This rice has become a regular staple, in our home, too. I've never had the original, though. You'd think I had a year's supply of basmati, now, though! :)

I'm still trying to perfect it, and we've had some miracles and disasters, as I try different things. I'll try yours next. Thanks.

~Heidi @ withaZ.net

Our menu: http://fromthecheapseatz.blogspot.com/2009/02/monday-menu-planning-february-9.html

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online