Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving - A Quick Review of the Day's Recipes

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Mr. Gooch and I had a great day with his mother and grandmother and we all ate until we thought we were going to burst.

I will be blogging about all the recipes we made for today in the coming days, but I wanted to give a quick review of each one in case anyone is celebrating with their family this weekend.

Good Eats Roast Turkey - So moist and tender. The key seems to be brining the turkey. Our 13.5 lb turkey was in the brine for about 14 hours. Also key is the 30 minutes at 500 degrees to brown the turkey and seal in all the juices.

Alton Brown's Best Gravy Ever - Everyone seemed to like it even though I realized well after the fact (when we were starting the dishes actually) I forgot to add the salt, pepper and fresh rosemary.

Baked Mashed Potatoes with Parmesan Cheese and Bread Crumbs - These were good. The only change I have is that next time I will add more Parmesan cheese and some roasted garlic.

Orange Ginger Cranberry Sauce - I am not a huge cranberry sauce fan but I realize after eating this version, it was because I do not like the canned kind. The ginger gives it a nice bit of zing and I am a cranberry sauce convert.

Honey Wheat Dinner Rolls - I loved these rolls. They had just the right amount of sweetness. The only problem I had was I left them in about two-three minutes too long and the bottoms of the rolls got a bit burnt.

Dilled Carrots - Always a family favorite.

Creamed Corn with Pearl Onions (a favorite of Mr. Gooch's made by his mother) - based on everyone's reviews, this one was good as usual.

Mixed Berry Cheesecake - Holy cow! This may be the best cheesecake I ever tasted. It was light and the lemon zest gave it just the right amount of citrus flavor. With berries on the side, it was the perfect end to the meal.

Print this post

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online