Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting...Good for the Country and Your Pocketbook

So Mr. Gooch and I headed off to the polls at 5:50 AM this morning (our polling place is a 5 minute walk from our house). We wanted to be first in line.

We were SO not the first people in line. There had to be at least 40 people in front of us. One guy even brought a chair. Wish I had thought of that idea. It took us about 35 minutes to get our actual ballots. Based on media reports regarding early voting with lines up to three hours long, I will take my 35 minutes.

As I think about voting, it is crazy to realize that this is my sixth presidential election I have voted in. I am not sure how many midterm, primary and local elections I have voted in. But it is pretty cool to be part of the democratic process. Plus if you vote, you get to complain about how things are run. :-)

I think it is great that so many people are participating in the process this year and that the number of voters expected this year will be higher than in recent memory. A big bonus this year is the early voting available in so many jurisdictions.

Even better, I love that there are so many businesses giving treats to those who voted.

Some of those I have come across are below. You may want to contact your local stores to make sure they are participating.

Ben & Jerry's - giving away a free scoop of ice cream from 5-8 p.m. to everyone who votes. (More details here.)

Starbucks - giving away a free 12 oz. tall coffee to all customers who come in and say that they voted. (More details here.)

Krispy Kreme - giving away a free donut to all customers who wear an "I Voted" sticker. (More details here.)

Shane's Rib Shack - giving away a free meal--3-piece chicken tenders, fries, and a 20 oz. drink--to all customers who wear an "I Voted" sticker. (More details here.)

Schuler Books (in Western Michigan) - a free cup of coffee.

Eli's Cheesecake - the Eli's Cheesecake Company of Chicago will reward voters with a free slice of Chicago's favorite dessert, simply by presenting their voting receipt at Eli's Cheesecake World, 6701 W. Forest Preserve Drive, from Tuesday, November 4th through Friday, November 7th - 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. If you don't live in the Chicago area, go online to http://www.elicheesecake.com/, click on "I voted in the 2008 election" and receive a free 6" Original Plain Cheesecake with the purchase of one Eli's 9" Original Plain or Chocolate Chip Cheesecake.

Books-a-Million - offering a FREE cup of Joe just for showing your "I VOTED" sticker.

Pizza Hut - The chain expects orders to surge on Election Day. To encourage diners to plan ahead, Pizza Hut is will give a 20 percent discount to all online orders scheduled for delivery or pick-up on Nov. 4. (One catch: The deal is valid for new online customers only.) To order, go to PizzaHut.com.

Enjoy the free stuff and enjoy the knowledge you have participated in the process.

Print this post

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online