Tuesday, November 11, 2008

TWD: Kugelhopf

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe is Kugelhopf. Selected by Yolanda of The All-Purpose Girl, the recipe can be found on pages 61-63 of Baking: From My Home to Yours.

I will admit that I was a bit worried about this one. The yeast, several risings and comments from other bakers on the website all combined to make my stress level rise quite a bit. (All puns intended.)

Turns out my fears were for naught. The ingredients can together easily (if a bit stickily), the rising was time consuming but allowed me to get other things done around the house and the baking went just according to the directions.

Due to the several of the comments on the board regarding some bitterness , I added vanilla to the butter to be soaked into the baked cake and I put a bit more than a dusting of confectioners sugar. I think these changes added a level of sweetness to the cake that counteracted any bitterness in the cake.

However, it was a lot of work for a cake that tasted similar to other cakes I have made. Maybe if I added more raisins or other fruit (maybe dried apricots or cranberries), orange zest or some other addition. It just seemed to need something more.

All in all, I am glad I made this dish. We will enjoy it for breakfast tomorrow.

Now Mr. Gooch is so excited for next week's recipe Arborio Rice Pudding. He is a huge fan.

Now that you have read my review of Kugelhopf, visit Tuesdays With Dorie to check out the posts from other bakers.

Print this post

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Your kugelhopf looks delicous. Good job!

AmyRuth said...

I think its a great breakfast bread or toast. Glad you enjoyed.
Amyruth

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online