Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Rotisserie Style Crockpot Chicken

Whole chickens were on sale this week at the grocery. I figured this was my chance to try my hand at making a whole chicken. If it was awful, at least I didn't pay full price.

So I checked out my Google Reader where I have dozens of recipes starred for future reference. One of those was a recipe for Rotisserie Style Crockpot Chicken posted on A Year of Crockpotting. For those of you wanting to make more use of your crockpot, this is an amazing blog. I am inspired to make something every week in my crockpot.

The hardest parts of this recipe were skinning the chicken (it was pretty gross) and then taking the chicken out of the crockpot since the meat was so tender it fell off the bone. This is why the photo above is not the greatest since I actually had to take it out of the crockpot in pieces and place them on the platter.

The fact that we were able to have two meals plus making stock from one chicken for soup is a total bonus.

Check out all the steam coming out of the chicken. It was amazing.

Rotisserie Crockpot Chicken
Ingredients
1 whole chicken, skinned (4-5 pounds)
2 tsp kosher salt (if you'd like it as salty as the ones in the store, add another 1 tsp.)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
pinch of chili pepper (probably not necessary)
4 whole garlic cloves (optional)
1 yellow onion, quartered (optional)

Directions
I used a 6 quart crockpot for a 4 pound bird. It fit perfectly.

Skin the chicken and get rid of the neck and other stuff from the cavity. This takes a while, and is gross. I skinned the chicken because I hate the idea of the chicken fat simmering all day in the crock. Bleck!

In a bowl, combine all of dried spices. Rub the spice mixture all over the bird, inside and out.

Place the bird breast-side down into the crockpot.

Place 4 whole garlic cloves and a quartered onion inside the bird.

Do not add water.

Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 8.

The meat is done when it is fully cooked and has reached desired tenderness. The longer you cook it, the more tender the meat. When I took mine out, the meat was so tender, it fell off the bone.

Print this post

3 Comments:

Stephanie ODea said...

I'm glad that you liked this! What a great use of the bones to make broth...
excellent idea!
xox
steph

Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't cite you in my blog! I meant to along with the link that was there, but the formatting somehow got messed up as you can see by the extra heading dots at the top of the post. I fixed it though :)

Thanks for sharing your recipe and the "A Year of Crockpotting" blog! I can't wait to try it out!

Dana said...

Thanks for the recipe! I made it the other day. It received thumbs up from my pickiest eater!

Happy New Year!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online