Monday, November 3, 2008

Thawing the Top of a Wedding Cake - A True Life Road Test

Mr. Gooch and I got married a year and a week ago. Don't we look happy.


Our wedding day was wonderful, and we loved being surrounded by family and friends. I almost cried as I walked down the aisle when I saw Mr. Gooch up at the alter, I think Mr. Gooch got a bit teary too. At the reception the food was great, the booze was flowing and the music was rocking all night long. A year later, several people still tell me that ours was the best wedding they have been to in a long time. Is it wrong to say that I just LOVE that?

And our cake was amazing, if I do say so myself. You can see a photo of it below.

While the decoration was pretty simple, it tasted amazing. Not being a fan of fondant, we skipped it for a more basic Italian butter cream frosting. The cake was a chocolate and vanilla marble. The filling was a raspberry mousse. Just writing about it is making my mouth water remembering how good it was.

OK now that my trip down memory lane is over, back to the point of this post. Thawing the top of our cake.

We froze the top of the cake to eat on our one-year anniversary. It has lived, wrapped up in a freezer (first at at my mother-in-law's house, then in the basement freezer). We used several layers of plastic wrap, then several layers of tin foil. That whole wrapped package was then placed in a Rubbermaid container. After a year, no frost has accumulated on the inside of the container - which I figured was a good sign.

I wasn't sure of the best way to thaw the cake so as is my usual MO, I headed right to Google and did some searching. Based on that research, I took the frozen cake and placed it into the fridge on Saturday morning. This was two days before we planned to eat the cake. This was to allow the cake to thaw slowly so that there wouldn't be a build up of moisture on the cake or the wrapping.

On Monday, I took the cake out of the fridge and placed it, still wrapped and in the container on the counter. Since we were going to eat dinner at 3:30 (Mr. Gooch works nights, we eat early), around noon, I took the cake out of the container and removed all the wrapping. This was to give the cake and frosting a chance to warm up. No one likes cold frosting.

So far so good. The cake was intact with only some of the frosting smudged in a few places.

The real test was after dinner was over.

We sliced into it. Placed it on our plates and dug in.

It was pretty darn good. Actually, it was pretty amazing. Just as good as we remembered. The best part, there was enough for dessert two nights in a row.

Print this post

1 Comment:

Vintage Gal Marialena said...

Awww, congratulations Kristina! You made a gorgeous bride!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online