Thursday, September 11, 2008

Joelen's Culinary Adventures: Food Network Chef Adventure - Salmon with Puff Pastry and Pesto

As part of my ongoing plan to stretch my cooking muscles so that Mr. Gooch doesn't always have to come up with tasty treats for our dinners, I have been reading various cooking blogs. One that I enjoy is Joelen's Culinary Adventures.

She has regular cooking challenges posted on her blog for fellow food bloggers to participate in. One of this month's challenges is Food Network Chef Adventure.

My selection is Giada De Laurentiis' Salmon with Puff Pastry and Pesto.

This ended up being so darn easy. I made some modifications and my version is below. Also, I was able to use pesto made from our own basil. I love it when I get to use things from our tiny garden.

This is a perfect dish for when company is over since it goes together quickly but "looks totally gourmet." (Direct quote from Mr. Gooch)

Salmon with Puff Pastry and Pesto

Ingredients
Purchased puff pastry, each of the pieces cut to be just larger than a piece of salmon
4-6-ounce pieces salmon (We made 3 pieces that were 6 oz. each)
Italian Dressing (I used Fat Free)
1/4 cup sliced almonds (I toasted these in the oven for additional flavor)
1/4 cup pesto (I used homemade pesto)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

While oven is heating, toast the almonds.


On a foil-lined baking sheet, place the pieces of puff pastry.

On a separate baking sheet, place the pieces of salmon, being careful to make sure they are not touching. Cover each piece with Italian Dressing to keep moist during baking.

Sprinkle each piece of salmon with 1 tablespoon of the sliced almonds.

Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
To serve, place each piece of puff pastry on a plate. Top each puff pastry with 1 tablespoon of pesto.


Top with the salmon and serve.

Print this post

1 Comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Oh wow! I completely forgot how well salmon tastes with pesto... and you've encased it in that buttery puff pastry too?! That is such an awesome idea! Everything tastes good wrapped up in puff pastry. Thanks for submitting this to the FN Chefs blogging event! This is definitely a great recipe to highlight Giada!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online