Thursday, September 11, 2008

Reflections on September 11

I can't believe it has been seven years since the attack and how many lives have been touched by the attacks or it's aftermath.

I still thinking that it was going to be a gorgeous day, remember seeing the breaking reports of something hitting the first Tower as I was getting ready for work, being in downtown Chicago thinking a plane may be headed to our area, hearing about the Towers collapsing, seeing Chicago's Loop deserted at noon on a September day, hearing the fighter jets flying overhead then watching the night sky and not seeing a single set of landing lights (I lived on one of the approaches to O'Hare).

The worst part was learning that one of my uncle's lost a nephew in the collapse of one of the Towers. I met him briefly at a cousin's wedding and remember a nice guy who was interesting to talk to.

To this day, I cannot watch images of the planes hitting the Towers or the Towers themselves collapsing. I don't think I will ever be able to watch those images.

But there has been one positive. As a result, I started volunteering with the USO of Illinois. Through that experience, I met one of my closest friends. Strange how the greatest tragedies in US history led to one of my closest friendships.

So on this seventh anniversary, I take some time out of my day to pray for the victims and their families, our armed forces serving around the world helping to preserve our freedom and all those impacted by the events on that day.

Print this post

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online