Monday, September 29, 2008

Triple Ginger Cookies - A Hit!

I have a hit on my hands, thanks to the Triple Ginger Cookies from Cookies on Friday. After baking these and giving some to my Mother-in-Law and Grandmother-in-Law, I have been commanded to bring these cookies to all holiday gatherings. Having sampled them myself, I have to agree. These cookies will be a welcome addition to the dessert selections for years to come.

Just as she recommended, I used shortening as instructed by the recipe and made only one minor substitution. I used washed raw cane sugar instead of the orange sanding sugar called for in her version. I was able to use my mixer for the entire process but did listen for straining of the motor just in case.

I ended up baking only about 2 dozen cookies from this batch. I rolled, sugared and froze the rest for baking a few at a time in the future.

Triple Ginger Cookies

Ingredients
4-1/2 cups flour
4 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups shortening
2 cups sugar
½ cup molasses
¼ cup candied/crystallized ginger, finely diced
1 teaspoon gingerroot, grated on a microplane
¾ cup washed raw cane sugar

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt.

In the bowl of a mixer, mix the shortening until smooth. Add the sugar and beat until fluffy. Add the eggs and the molasses, mixing until combined.

Stir in about half of the flour mixture and then mix in the candied ginger and the gingerroot.

Add the rest of the flour mixture. You may need to mix in the last bit of flour by hand, as the dough can be too much for most mixers.

Form the dough into 1 inch balls and roll in the cane sugar.

Bake for 11-12 minutes. Cookies will be puffy and perhaps look slightly undone.

Cool 2 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool.

Print this post

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online