Tuesday, September 9, 2008

TWD: Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops

This is my first go around with Tuesdays with Dorie. And the recipe, chosen by Rachel at Confessions of a Tangerine Tart couldn't have been a more appropriate. I LOVE malted anything. As Mr. Gooch knows, I always have to get a malted shake whenever it is on the menu. Mmmmmm, malted shake.

Sorry, got sidetracked dreaming about the tasty chocolate malts at one of our local restaurants. Now back to the how the recipe came together.

This is an easy recipe to follow. The ingredients are easy to find and come together quickly and without much fuss. What makes this cookie so fabulous is the combination of malt, semi-sweet chocolate chunks and, of course, the malt ball. The texture is slightly cakey with the carmeliness (is that a word?) of the melted malt balls with just a bit of crunchiness from those malt pieces that didn't melt completely. Just writing about it makes me want to head over to the kitchen to get another one.

The batter is thick so I used a cookie scoop to place the batter on the parchment lines cookie sheet.

One note: I cut the whoppers in half versus chopping them into smaller pieces. I think this helped with keeping some of the pieces intact in the baking process.


The final product smells amazing and tastes the same.


The recipe makes about 30 cookies, which is way too many for just the two of us. So I made 1/2 the batch and froze the rest in cookie sized balls. The plan is to save them in the freezer so we can just pop them in the toaster oven whenever we need a chocolate cookie fix.

Can't wait for next week's recipe, chose by Claudia of Fool for Food, Chocolate Chunkers. Watch for an update next week.

Print this post

2 Comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks awesome and great idea freezeing the extra dough for quick cookies in the future!

Cate said...

Last time I made malted milk cookies (from a Mrs. Fields recipe) they weren't anything special. These look GREAT - I definitely want to try them because I'm sure they would be much better.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online